HTML Free Code
CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 27, 2009

Giggs Menang PFA Player of The Year

Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs has been named Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year - the first time he has won the award in his glittering career.


Giggs has been in excellent form this season, but has only started 12 games for United

The 35-year-old had picked up the young player's award twice and has now been voted for the top accolade by his fellow professionals following his exemplary season, which looks likely to end with his 11th Premier League title.

"It's right up there, with personal accolades it's the best to have as it's voted by your fellow players,'' Giggs said.

"I've been fortunate to win a lot of trophies, I won the young player award twice, but this is the big one.''

Giggs has only started 12 league games this season but has been a regular in the squad for all competitions, with the award acknowledging the respect he has from opponents.

If he plays against Arsenal in the Champions League semi-final first leg this week, it will be his 800th appearance for United, although the landmark is not as important to him as adding to his trophy haul.

"It's an exciting season,'' he said. "I think it is going to go right to the wire, there's big game after big game now. That is what you want and need at a club like Manchester United.''

Giggs paid tribute to his manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, and also suggested he may play on beyond his current contract, which expires at the end of next season.

"The manager has been massive in my career from when I first met him when I was 13,'' Giggs said.

"That's over 20 years and he knows me better than anyone and our relationship has been brilliant and just gets better.

"I've been so fortunate to have such a great career in so many great teams, it's not even worth thinking about what it would have been like without the manager.''

The Welshman has started taking his coaching badges, which may be a hint at the future, but he added: "As long as I'm getting picked, enjoying it and injury-free, I'll carry on as long as I can. At 35 you can't look too far into the distance, you just can't.''

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young picked up the Young Player of the Year award and believes it is a sign of the progress his club have made this season.

"It's a massive achievement for the club and my team-mates around me,'' Young said. "It's a great honour and I'm delighted.''

John McDermott, the former Grimsby player who spent 20 years at the club, was given the Merit award for his services to the game.

"I thought it was one of the lads winding me up, a real shock,'' he said. "To still be recognised, I was flattered and honoured.''

The PFA divisional team of the year has six United players and also included Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka, who was in goalscoring form until the votes were cast but has not found the net since February. Portsmouth right-back Glen Johnson was also included.

Premier League team of the year: Van der Sar, G Johnson, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, A Young, Gerrard, Giggs, Ronaldo, Anelka, Torres


memang hebat r giggs nih

dah r setia dengan MU

appearance utk club dah 799

hebat2...

credit to soccernet

0 comments: